This one has been a regular WIN in our household for a few years now, mostly because it hits on all of the necessary key points:
1) It takes 5 minutes to put together in the morning,
2) It can cook all day, and
3) It’s an entire meal in a single pot – no sides needed!
Prep: 5 min before cooking, plus 5min prior to serving
Cook Time: min. 6-8hrs on LOW, plus 15-20mins on HIGH once you’ve added the beans & cheese
1lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
16-24oz jar salsa (whatever heat you prefer)
15oz can corn kernels
two 15oz cans white beans (great northern or cannellini)
8oz shredded mexican blend cheese (typically a combo of at least cheddar & monterey jack)
non-stick cooking spray
sour cream (optional, for topping)
Make it Happen:
1. Spray in the inside of a 4qt crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Drain the corn and place in a bowl. Add the salsa and stir to combine.
3. Place the chicken breasts into the crock pot and pour the salsa/corn mixture over the top. You can also put a small amount of this mixture in before putting in the chicken, if you want.
4. Cook on LOW for 6-8hrs. (We usually cook it all day – the salsa will keep it moist.)
5. About 20-25mins before you want to serve dinner, remove the chicken from the crock pot and place on a plate.
6. Drain and rinse the beans, then add those to the crock pot; stir to combine and replace the lid.
7. Shred the chicken, then add that back to the crock pot. Stir to combine.
8. Add the cheese to the crock pot; stir to combine. Cook on HIGH for 15-20mins.
9. (optional) Offer sour cream for people to top theirs with.
- There’s nothing wrong with going with slightly more salsa on this (trending closer to the 24oz) if you’re going to let it cook 10-12hrs. Going more with the 6-8hr timeframe, the 16-18oz jars should be fine.
- Feel free to go with a reduced fat shredded cheese combo; we’ve had no issues with it melting. Fat-free cheeses often DO have issues with melting, though, so be cautious about using them in this.