Sometimes, you just want wee sandwiches filled with shredded meat. I can’t say why; I just know that it IS a thing that sometimes people, like me, just WANT AND NEED TO HAVE RIGHT NAO.
And thus, when I was planning for a fellow crock potter to come over for dinner, I figured that I’d throw stuff in the crock in her honor. She wasn’t able to make it to dinner after all, but we managed to get through dinner anyway. The biggest challenge: not going back for seconds. And thirds.
This one is easy as all-get out, since it doesn’t require either A) a ton of ingredients, or B) a ton of time to prepare. Easy crocks are always full of win, in my book, and when they’re tasty, that’s serious bonus time. I will say that this sauce comes out a bit tangy, so we used potato dinner rolls as the slider buns. This ended up being a perfect combination, since the tang of the sauce was a natural accompaniment for the sweetness of the roll (and vice versa).
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 8-12hrs on LOW, 4-6hrs on HIGH
two 8oz cans of tomato sauce (or one 15oz can)
3 Tb honey
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 Tb Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp ground mustard
1-3/4 to 2lbs top round steak
12 potato dinner rolls or (sweet) slider buns
Make it Happen
1. Place the first six items in a bowl and stir well.
2. Coat the inside of a 4qt crock pot with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon a small amount of the mixture from the bowl into the bottom of the crock and swirl it around to create a thin coat.
3. Cut the steak, as needed, to make it fit in the crock. (I had to cut mine into thirds.) If you have multiple pieces and they can’t all fit side-by-side, place one layer of steak in the crock, then cover it with some of the sauce mixture, then add another layer of steak and repeat this process until all steak and sauce is in the crock pot.
4. Cover and cook on LOW for 8-12hrs or HIGH for 4-6hrs.
5. Remove the steak from the crock and shred the meat with two forks. Put the shredded beef back in the crock and stir it back into the sauce to combine them well.
6. Spoon your desired serving onto a potato dinner roll or other slider bun. One serving = 2 sliders.